Thursday, September 18, 2008

Children as a form of entertainment

The other day I was talking to my father about how much I love the way a child's sense of personality develops and I am still thinking of it. You know how amazing it is the first time a child actually gets a joke or sarcasm and giggles at the right time? How about when they are watching a cartoon on tv and you hear them giggle out loud all by themselves? I love watching my oldest grand-daughter and how much she is developing her own weird and lovely personality. Jaide is 4 and is the grand-daughter that I spend the most time with since two are not in the area and the 4th is only 3 months old (and not up to spending much time at grandma's house yet.) Anyways, being a grandma means that for the first time I get to sit back and get a front-seat ticket to the entertainment without all of the worries and I am taking full advantage of it. The other day Jaide kicked a lamp that was sitting on the end-table and it started wobbling so I grabbed it and said "awww.....now you went and broke it" and she said "oh please, that lamp's been broke 10 years". Okay granted, it has wobbled for a long time since it has been passed down for generations, but 10 years? She's only been here for 4 of those, the little heathen. Now fast forward to later that same evening when I was on the phone with my mom and Jaide sat on the other side of me looking bored and finally found a solution. She moved the hair off of my free ear and laid her ear on mine. I asked her what she was doing and she said "trying to see if I can hear Nana too." I laughed so hard and told the child that I wasn't a sea-shell which she found hilarious of course. It seems that no matter how many years I have put into this parenting thing, the wonders never really cease. A child always sees things in a new light and always find an interesting and original way to share this with us and for that, I remain forever their greatest fan.

No comments: